1/2cup unsalted butter
3 (1-ounce) squares unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Orange-Marshmallow Filling (see Download for recipe)
1 (14-ounce) package orange candy melts*
3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
Garnish: 1 square chocolate-flavored candy coating, melted
• Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly butter and flour a jelly-roll pan. Set aside.
• In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and chocolate. Set aside to cool slightly.
• In a large bowl and using an electric mixer at medium-high speed, combine the sugar and eggs, and beat until fluffy. Gradually beat in the flour, salt, and vanilla extract. Add the chocolate-butter mixture, and stir until smooth. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
• Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool completely.
• Using a 2-inch round cutter, cut brownies into rounds. Freeze for 2 hours.
• Spread half of the brownie rounds with 1 teaspoon Orange-Marshmallow Filling. Top with remaining brownie rounds. Freeze for 2 hours.
• In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the candy melts and shortening. Microwave on High (100 percent power) in 30-second intervals until melted (approximately 1 1/2minutes total), stirring between intervals. Using a skewer, dip each brownie sandwich in the melted candy coating, covering completely. Place on cooling rack set over a layer of waxed paper. Let dry slightly, then repeat process.
• For garnish, place melted chocolate in a pastry bag fitted with a very small round tip, and decorate, if desired.
*For testing purposes, we used Wilton Orange Candy Melts, which can be purchased at cake decorating supply stores, craft stores, or online at wilton.com.
Editor's Note: For a festive, elegant look, garnish cakes with fresh currants and kumquat halves.