Anchovy pinwheels get their twist from anchovy paste combined with cream cheese, red bell pepper, and green onion.
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon anchovy paste*
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 (17.3-ounce) package puff pastry, thawed
• In the work bowl of a food processor, combine cream cheese, bell pepper, green onion, parsley, anchovy paste, and black pepper, pulsing until just combined. Set aside.
• Unfold puff pastry on a clean, dry surface. Evenly spread cream-cheese mixture over puff pastry, leaving a 1-inch border on one long edge. Roll dough lengthwise, starting with the long edge without a border. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Freeze until firm, approximately 4 hours.
• Preheat oven to 400°.
• Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
• With a sharp, serrated knife, cut cold roll into 1/8-inch-thick slices, and place on prepared baking sheets.
• Bake until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
*Anchovy paste can be found in many major supermarkets and in specialty-foods stores with other canned-fish products.