• Preheat the oven to 400°.
• Place pie dough on a lightly floured surface. Using a 3-inch cutter,
cut as many rounds as possible from each sheet of pie dough. Press
round into tartlet pans*, shaping to fit. Using a fork, lightly prick
bottom of dough.
• Bake for 5 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.
• In a large sauté pan over medium heat, heat butter and olive oil. Add
onion and garlic, and cook until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add
corn, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cream, salt,
red pepper, and white pepper. Simmer for 2 minutes.
• Add grits to corn mixture. Cook for 5 minutes. Add 1⁄2 cup cheese,
and stir until melted. Remove from heat. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
• Whisk eggs into corn mixture. Pour mixture into prepared crusts,
and sprinkle evenly with remaining 1⁄2 cup cheese.
• Bake for 7 to 8 minutes, or until centers are set and slightly puffed.
*For testing purposes, we used barquette pans, which create oval, boatshaped