Puffy and light, our French rolls are perfect straight from the oven.
1 3/4 cups bread flour
1 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 recipe Smoked-Paprika Butter (see Download for recipe)
• In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse flour, yeast, and salt together until combined. With the motor running, add water through work-bowl spout, blending until dough comes together and forms a ball. Let dough rest for 5 minutes.
• Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead a few times until dough forms a ball. Place in a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm (85°) place, free from drafts for 1 hour.
• Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead several times until dough forms a smooth ball. Return dough to bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise a second time until doubled in size, approximately 1 hour.
• Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
• Divide dough into 12 pieces. Shape pieces into smooth balls. Place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Brush with butter. Let rise until doubled in size, approximately 45 minutes.
• Preheat oven to 425°.
• Bake rolls until golden brown, 8 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven, and brush with butter. Serve warm with Smoked-Paprika Butter.