This take on a ham sandwich is a delicious variation.
Downloads:Rosemary Crumpet Sandwiches
2 1/2 teaspoons dry active yeast
1 1/4 cups warm water (105° to 115°), divided
1 cup warm milk (105° to 115°)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (4-ounce) package goat cheese
36 spinach leaves
12 radishes, sliced
18 slices deli ham
Garnish: whole-grain mustard
• In a large bowl, combine the yeast and 1 cup warm water. Let stand for 5 minutes, then add the warm milk, butter, sugar, and salt.
• Add the flour and rosemary, and stir until batter is slightly elastic. Cover with a clean, moist kitchen towel, and let dough stand at room temperature for 45 minutes.
• In a small bowl, combine the baking soda and remaining ¼ cup water. Stir mixture into the batter. Re-cover, and let rise for 20 to 30 minutes more.
• On an oiled griddle over medium-low heat, ladle approximately ¼ cup batter into greased 2½-inch round stainless-steel rings. Cook until the tops of the crumpets look dry, approximately 15 minutes.
• Carefully remove molds. Flip crumpets, and cook until golden brown and cooked through, approximately 5 minutes more. Repeat with remaining batter. Set crumpets aside.
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Slice crumpets in half horizontally, and place on a baking sheet. Bake until lightly toasted, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool.
• In a small bowl and using an electric mixer at medium speed, beat the cream cheese and goat cheese until smooth. Spread approximately 1 tablespoon of the cheese mixture onto the bottom half of a crumpet, add 2 spinach leaves, 2 radish slices, and a slice of ham. Finish with the top half of the crumpet. Repeat with remaining crumpets and sandwich fillings.
• Garnish with whole-grain mustard, if desired. Serve immediately.