French-bread cheese toast is at home in a decadent, creamy cheese sauce.
Downloads:Smoky Welsh Rarebit Bites
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup dark ale
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese
24 toasted French-bread rounds
24 (1-inch-square) slices smoked Gouda cheese
Garnish: white truffle oil and fresh thyme
• In medium saucepan over low heat, melt the butter. Add the flour, and whisk to combine. Cook, whisking constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes, being careful not to brown the flour.
• Add the mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper, whisking until smooth. Add the ale, and whisk to combine. Pour in the cream, and whisk until well combined and smooth.
• Add the shredded Gouda, stirring constantly, until cheese melts and sauce is smooth, 4 to 5 minutes. Reduce heat to very low to keep warm.
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
• Place the French-bread rounds on the prepared baking sheet, and top each with a slice of Gouda. Bake until cheese melts, approximately 5 minutes.
• Pour approximately 1 tablespoon prepared cheese sauce into a small serving dish, and top with a prepared cheese toast.
• Garnish with truffle oil and fresh thyme, if desired. Serve immediately.