Baby sweet peas and leeks combined with creamy goat cheese make flavorful tartlets.
Downloads:Sweet Pea and Leek Tartlets
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup thinly sliced leeks
1 cup baby sweet peas
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 (4-ounce) package soft goat cheese, crumbled
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 large eggs, at room temperature and lightly beaten
1 1/2 (15-ounce) packages refrigerated piecrusts (3 sheets)
Garnish: fresh tarragon sprigs
• In a small sauté pan over medium heat, melt butter. Add leeks. Cook until soft, 6 to 8 minutes. Add peas, tarragon, and parsley. Cook until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Add goat cheese, salt, and pepper, stirring until smooth. Transfer mixture to a large bowl, and set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
• Add eggs to cooled leek mixture, gently whisking until well combined. Set aside.
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Spray 12 (41/2-x-21/2-inch) rectangular tart pans with removable bottoms with nonstick spray. Set aside.
• Place piecrusts on a lightly floured surface, and roll each into a 12-inch round. Cut each crust into 4 (61/2-x-41/2-inch) rectangles, rerolling scraps as necessary but no more than twice.
• Place dough rectangles in tartlet pans, pressing firmly into bottoms and up sides. Lightly prick bottoms several times with a fork.
• Bake until edges are just golden, approximately 10 minutes.
• Divide leek filling evenly among tartlet shells.
• Bake until centers are set, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool in pans for 5 minutes.
• Garnish with a sprig of tarragon, if desired.