Dark chocolate scones are a delicious bread and dessert in one.
Downloads:Biscuits au Chocolat (Chocolate Scones)
2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 cup unsweetened dark chocolate cocoa powder or unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fresh orange zest
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 large egg
2 tablespoons turbinado sugar*
• Preheat oven to 425°.
• Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
• In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, orange zest, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture is crumbly. Stir in chocolate chunks. Set aside.
• In a small bowl, whisk together cream and egg. Pour cream mixture into flour mixture, stirring until just combined (dough will be sticky).
• Drop dough by heaping tablespoons onto prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle each with turbinado sugar.
• Bake until a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, 8 to 12 minutes. Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
*For testing purposes, we used Sugar in the Raw.