Scones infused with honey-flavored rooibos and dried cherries are lovely for a summertime tea.
Downloads:Tea-Infused Cherry Scones
2/3 cup whole milk
1 (.05-ounce) bag honey-flavored rooibus*
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and diced
1/4 cup chopped dried cherries
2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
• Preheat oven to 400°.
• Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
• In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring milk to a simmer. Remove pan from heat. Place tea bag in milk, and steep for 10 minutes. Remove tea bag, and let milk cool to room temperature, approximately 20 minutes.
• Add lemon juice to milk, stirring to combine. Set aside for 10 minutes. (Mixture will curdle.)
• In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add cherries, stirring to combine. Gradually add tea-infused milk, stirring until just combined.
• On a floured surface, knead dough 6 to 10 times. Divide dough in half. Roll each half into a 1/2-inch-thick round. Cut each round into 8 wedges. Place wedges on prepared baking sheet. Brush wedges with cream.
• Bake until lightly golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly.
*For testing purposes, we used Kalahari Highlands Honey Red Tea.