Layers of cake, cherry liqueur, and whipped cream topped with dark and white chocolate curls are mouthwatering.
Downloads:Black Forest Trifle
2 cups fresh or frozen pitted cherries
1/4 cup brandy
1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon amaretto liqueur, divided
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
6 large eggs
3/4 cup plus 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
3/4 cup cake flour
2/3 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 cup heavy whipping cream
Garnish: grated chocolate, cherries, dark and white chocolate curls
• In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the cherries, brandy, ¼ cup amaretto, and brown sugar. Cook until the mixture is reduced by half, approximately 12 minutes. Remove from heat, and cool completely.
• Preheat oven to 375°.
• Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray with flour. Set aside.
• In a large bowl and using an electric mixer at high speed, beat the eggs, ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla until mixture is thick and pale, approximately 5 minutes. Set aside.
• In a medium bowl, sift together the cake flour, cocoa, and salt. With the mixer at lowest speed, add the flour mixture to the egg mixture in 3 batches, beating well after each addition.
• Add the melted butter, and mix just until combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
• Bake until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven. Cool cake in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Crumble cake into small pieces. Set aside.
• In a medium bowl and using an electric mixer at medium-high speed, beat the cream, remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla, and remaining 1 teaspoon amaretto until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
• In individual serving dishes, layer the crumbled cake, cherry-liqueur mixture, and whipped cream, ending with whipped cream. Repeat layers as many times as possible. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or up to overnight before serving.
• Garnish with grated chocolate, cherries, and chocolate curls, if desired.