These caramel-dipped muffins feature a unique combination of flavors, including carrots, ginger, brown sugar, and spices.
Downloads:Caramelized Carrot-and-Ginger Muffins
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 cups firmly packed coarsely grated carrot
1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
1/3 cup water
• Preheat oven to 425°.
• Line a (24-well) mini muffin pan with paper liners. Set aside.
• In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, cardamom, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
• In a separate medium bowl, combine the eggs, oil, vanilla, ½ cup sugar, and brown sugar. Whisk until smooth. Stir in the carrot, orange zest, and grated ginger.
• Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture, and stir until just combined. Divide the batter among the prepared wells of the muffin pan, filling to the rim.
• Place muffins in oven, and immediately reduce oven temperature to 375°. Bake for 12 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove from oven, and let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Transfer muffins to wire racks to cool completely.
• In a small saucepan, combine remaining 1 cup sugar and water. Cook over medium-high heat until mixture reaches 340° on a candy thermometer. (Sugar will be amber colored. Use caution, as mixture is very hot.) Remove caramel from heat, and carefully dip the tops of the cooled muffins into the caramel. Place muffins upright on parchment paper to dry.