These cookies feature the flavors of rose water, fresh lemon juice, and almonds.
Downloads:Lemon-Rose Bonbon Cookies
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon rose water*
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons finely ground almonds
1/8 teaspoon salt
Garnish: lemon-zest curls
• In a medium bowl, beat butter and confectioners’ sugar with an electric mixer at high speed until light and fluffy. Add lemon zest, lemon juice, and rose water, beating until well combined. Set aside.
• In a medium bowl, combine flour, ground almonds, and salt, whisking well. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until combined.
• Wrap dough in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
• Using a 1-inch spring-loaded scoop, scoop dough into portions. Use hands to roll dough portions into balls. Place balls on prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart.
• Bake until lightly golden, but not brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
• Garnish with lemon-zest curls, if desired.
*Rose water can be found in many major supermarkets and in specialty-foods stores with other flavorings or extracts or in stores that specialize in Middle-Eastern food products.