Three flavors of meringue frosting atop a hazelnut shortbread cookie and layered with chocolate ganache combine for an appealing dessert.
Downloads:Miniature Marjoliane Bites
1 1/2 cups sugar
6 large egg whites
2 cups butter, softened and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped, seeds reserved
1/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
1/2 teaspoon chocolate extract
1/4 cup prepared caramel sauce
1/2 cup toffee bits, finely chopped
1 recipe Hazelnut Shortbread Cookies
(see Download for recipe)
1 recipe Bittersweet Chocolate Ganache (see download for recipe)
• In a double boiler over simmering water, whisk together the sugar and egg whites. Cook until the sugar is dissolved and the temperature registers 140° on a candy thermometer, 2 to 3 minutes.
• In a large bowl and using an electric mixer at high speed, beat the egg white mixture until stiff peaks form and mixture is fluffy, approximately 10 minutes.
• Reduce mixer speed to medium-low. Add the butter, several pieces at a time, beating well after each addition. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and beat until mixture comes together, 3 to 5 minutes more. Divide mixture evenly into 3 (1⅔-cup) portions, and place each portion in a separate bowl.
• To the first bowl, add remaining ½ teaspoon vanilla and reserved vanilla bean seeds, stirring to combine.
• To the second bowl, add the cocoa and chocolate extract, stirring to combine.
• To the third bowl, add the prepared caramel sauce and toffee bits, stiring to combine.
• Transfer mixtures to three pastry bags, each fitted with a round tip*.
• To assemble, pipe the vanilla-flavored mixture in a long strip along the length of one Hazelnut Shortbread Cookie.
• Pipe the chocolate-flavored mixture in a long strip next to the first strip, along the remaining half of the Hazelnut Shortbread Cookie.
• Pipe the caramel-flavored mixture in a strip on top of the middle of the bottom two strips, creating a triangular shape. Repeat with remaining cookies and mixtures.
• Place cookies on a baking sheet, and freeze until hard, approximately 1 hour.
• Place the cookies on a wire rack over a baking sheet, and pour a thin layer of Bittersweet Chocolate Ganache over each cookie. Place back on the baking sheet, and freeze for 1 hour.
• Using a sharp knife, slice the cookies into 1-inch pieces, and serve.
NOTE: Prepared Miniature Marjolaine Bites can be kept refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 6 months.
*For testing purposes, we used the Ateco #804 round tip.