Ideal for breakfast or teatime, these turnovers feature orange juice, pears, and Chardonnay.
Downloads:Orange-Scented Pear Turnovers
6 pears, peeled, cored, and diced
1 1/2 cups Chardonnay
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup pear preserves
1 tablespoon orange zest
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 (17.3-ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon orange extract
• Preheat oven to 400°.
• Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
• In medium saucepan over medium heat, combine pears, Chardonnay, sugar, pear preserves, orange zest, and cardamom, and stir until well combined. Cook until reduced by one-third, approximately 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Cool completely.
• On a lightly floured surface, unfold the puff pastry sheet, and lightly dust with flour. Roll sheet into a 12-x-12-inch square. Cut dough into 3-x-3-inch squares. Put equal amounts of filling (approximately 1 teaspoon) onto center of each square.
• Dip a fingertip in water, and moisten the edges of each square. Fold dough over to form a triangle, gently pressing to remove air pockets around filling. Press the edges of dough together, and use a fork to crimp and seal edges of turnover.
• Repeat process with remaining dough squares and filling. Arrange turnovers on the prepared baking sheet.
• Bake until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool slightly.
• In a small bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar, orange juice, and orange extract. Drizzle turnovers with glaze, and serve warm.
NOTE: Turnovers may be filled and shaped up to 2 hours before baking. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, and store in refrigerator.