Plum-flavored white tea gives this crème caramel its special flavor.
Downloads:Plum-White-Tea–Infused Crème Caramels
1 3/4 cups sugar, divided
1/4 cup water
1 quart heavy whipping cream
5 (.06-ounce) bags plum-flavored white tea*
6 large eggs
5 large egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• In a small, heavy saucepan, bring 1 cup sugar and water to a boil over medium-high heat, swirling pan until sugar dissolves, approximately 2 minutes. Let mixture boil undisturbed until caramel is a deep amber color, 4 to 5 minutes. Immediately remove pan from heat, and swirl to mix caramel. Divide caramel evenly among 12 (6-ounce) custard cups or ramekins. Set aside to cool.
• Preheat oven to 325°.
• In a large saucepan, heat cream over medium-high heat until just simmering. Remove from heat, add tea bags, and steep for approximately 10 minutes. Remove tea bags, reserving cream.
• In a large bowl, combine eggs, yolks, vanilla, remaining ¾ cup sugar, and reserved cream, whisking until well combined. Divide mixture evenly among prepared custard cups.
• Place cups in a large straight-sided roasting pan. Carefully add enough hot water to pan to come halfway up sides of custard cups.
• Bake until custard is almost set and is golden on top, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from oven, and let stand in water bath for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from water bath. Cool for 1 hour.
• Refrigerate until cold, approximately 3 hours.
• To unmold, run a thin sharp knife around sides of cups. Place a dessert plate over each cup, and invert to turn out custard.
*For testing purposes, we used Salada Asian Plum White Tea.