Mini piecrusts filled with almond cream, strawberries, blueberries, and apricot preserves are the perfect size for teatime.
Downloads:Tartes aux Fruits (Fruit Tarts)
1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts (2 sheets)
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
2/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
6 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup apricot preserves, melted
Garnish: fresh mint leaves, chopped toasted slivered almonds, orange-zest curls
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Spray 8 (4-inch) fluted tart pans with removable bottoms with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
• On a lightly floured surface, unroll piecrusts. Using a 4½-inch round cutter, cut 8 circles from dough.
• Place dough circles in prepared tart pans, pressing firmly into bottom and up sides. Lightly prick bottoms several times with a fork. Place tart pans on a rimmed baking sheet.
• Bake until crusts are golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
• In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, heat cream until just simmering, being careful not to boil. Remove from heat. Add toasted slivered almonds. Let steep until cool, approximately 1 hour.
• Strain cream, discarding almonds. If necessary, add enough whipping cream to almond cream to equal 1½ cups. Refrigerate almond cream until cold, approximately 2 hours.
• In a large bowl, beat almond cream at medium speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add confectioners’ sugar, beating until well combined and smooth, approximately 30 seconds.
• Spoon almond cream into prepared tart shells. Top with strawberries and blueberries. Brush fruit with melted apricot preserves.
• Garnish with mint, chopped almonds, and orange-zest curls, if desired.