These sweet treats are a great pick-me-up any time of the day.
Downloads:Date Pinwheels Recipe
2 1/2 cups sifted flour, divided
1 large egg
1 cup sugar, divided
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups packed dates, chopped
1/3 cup water
• In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, egg, 1/2 cup sugar, butter,
brown sugar, vanilla extract, baking soda, and salt. Mix ingredients
well, adding additional 1/2 cup flour, a bit at a time, if dough
seems very sticky. Cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
• In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the dates,
remaining 1/2 cup sugar, and water. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring
constantly. Remove from heat, and set aside to cool completely.
• Divide chilled dough in half. On a floured surface, roll each half
into an 8-x-10-inch rectangle.
• Evenly divide the cooled date mixture between the two dough
rectangles. Roll each rectangle jelly-roll style. Tightly wrap each
roll with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 8 hours, or
• Preheat oven to 375°. Lightly spray 2 baking sheets with nonstick
cooking spray. Set aside.
• Cut rolls into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or
until golden brown.