Guests will love a dessert that is essentially a decadent bowl of rich chocolate cream.
Downloads:Chocolate-Basil Pots de Crème Recipe
1 cup fresh basil leaves
1 cup heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup whole milk
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
4 (1-ounce) squares semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 tablespoon unsweetened natural cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
Garnish: coarse sanding sugar and additional fresh basil
• In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine basil, cream,
and milk. Bring to a simmer, stirring. Remove from heat, cover,
and steep for 1 hour.
• Pour cream mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a medium
bowl. Squeeze basil of all liquid; discard basil.
• Return cream mixture to saucepan over medium-high heat. Add
sugar, chocolate, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and salt. Cook,
stirring constantly, until mixture just begins to boil. Remove
• In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks and flour. Slowly pour
1 cup chocolate mixture into egg mixture, whisking constantly.
Repeat. Pour egg-cream mixture back into saucepan, whisking to
combine. Divide mixture evenly among 6 ramekins.
• Line the bottom of a large roasting pan with a folded kitchen
towel. Arrange ramekins on towel. Fill pan with enough boiling-hot
water to reach halfway up sides of the ramekins. Cover pan
with aluminum foil. Bake until pots de crème are set around edges
but centers still wobble slightly, approximately 45 minutes.
• Cool pots de crème in pan for 30 minutes. Remove from pan.
Cover pots de crème with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least
4 hours before serving.
• Garnish with coarse sanding sugar and fresh basil, if desired.