Perfectly packaged in puff pastry, these date-filled cookies are a party pleaser.
Downloads:Date Puff Cookies Recipe
2 (10-ounce) packages pitted dates
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup finely chopped toasted walnuts
1 teaspoon orange zest
2 teaspoons fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 (17.3-ounce) package puff pastry dough
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Garnish: confectioners’ sugar
• In the work bowl of a food processor, combine dates, brown
sugar, walnuts, orange zest, orange juice, and vanilla extract.
Pulse until mixture is well combined.
• Lay puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Cut each sheet
lengthwise into thirds along the folds.
• Mound a third of the filling lengthwise along the center of
each rectangle, leaving a 1-inch border on either side. Fold each
side over the filling, overlapping the edges slightly, and press
together gently to seal. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap, and
freeze for 2 hours, or until firm.
• Preheat oven to 400˚. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment
• Cut each log into 1-inch slices, and place seam side down on prepared
baking sheets. Brush each cookie lightly with beaten egg.
• Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer
cookies to a wire rack to cool. Dust with confectioners’ sugar,