These lemon-inspired macaroons pair well with a cup of black tea.
Downloads:Lemon Macaroons Recipe
3 large egg whites at room temperature
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons yellow food coloring
2 tablespoons sugar
1 3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup prepared lemon curd
• Preheat oven to 280°. Line 2 baking sheets with silicone baking
mats or parchment paper. Set aside.
• In a medium bowl and using an electric mixer at high speed,
beat egg whites, lemon extract, vanilla extract, and food coloring
until frothy. With the mixer running, add sugar, 1 teaspoon
at a time until mixture is glossy, about 2 minutes.
• In the work bowl of a food processor, combine confectioners’
sugar and almonds; pulse until almonds are very finely ground.
Fold almond mixture into egg mixture. Set aside for 15 minutes.
• Spoon batter into a large pastry bag fitted with a round tip. On
prepared baking sheets, pipe batter in 1 1/2-inch rounds, spacing
at least 2 inches apart. Let cookies sit at room temperature
for 45 minutes before baking. (This helps develop the signature
• Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until firm to the touch. Transfer
baking sheets to wire racks, and cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
• Spread about 1 teaspoon prepared lemon curd in the center of
the flat side of one macaroon, and sandwich with the flat side
of another. Repeat with remaining curd and macaroons. Store
macaroons in an airtight container at room temperature for up
to 1 week.