• Preheat oven to 375°. Line a baking sheet with parchment
paper. Set aside.
• In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and
salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in ½ cup butter until mixture
resembles coarse crumbs.
• Add cream cheese and caramel bits, and stir until well combined.
Add cream and vanilla extract, and stir until dough
comes together. On a floured surface, roll dough into a ¾-inch-thick
round. Cut the round into 12 wedges, and place wedges on
the prepared baking sheet.
• In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine brown sugar
and remaining ¼ cup butter, and cook for 8 minutes, or until
mixture is smooth. Brush tops of scones with the caramel, and
sprinkle each evenly with coarse salt.
• Bake scones for 12 to 14 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
*For testing purposes, we used Kraft Premium Caramel Bits, which
can be found on the baking supplies aisle at most supermarkets.