• Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly spray 3 (5 1/2-x-3-inch) loaf pans
with baking spray with flour. Set aside.
• In a large bowl and using an electric mixer at high speed, beat
butter and brown sugar until light and creamy. Add the egg, and
mix to combine.
• In a medium bowl, sift together the whole-wheat flour, all-purpose
flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and five-spice
• In a separate small bowl, whisk together the milk, orange juice,
and vanilla extract.
• With mixer at lowest speed, alternately add flour mixture and
milk mixture to butter mixture, beginning and ending with
flour mixture. Stir in the applesauce. Evenly divide batter among
prepared loaf pans.
• Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted near
the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Transfer
loaves to a wire rack to cool completely.
• Serve with Quick Cranberry-Cherry Preserves, if desired.
Pictured with Quick Cranberry-Cherry Preserves