Shortbread cookies are always a favorite. Infuse the flavors of almonds, sage, and orange, and watch these treats disappear.
Downloads:Sage-Almond Shortbread Recipe
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup ground almonds
3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
2 teaspoons fresh orange zest
• In a large bowl and using an electric mixer at medium-high speed,
beat butter until light and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add confectioners’
sugar, beating until smooth and fluffy. Add almond extract,
beating to combine. Set aside.
• In a medium bowl, sift together flour and salt. With mixer at low
speed, slowly add flour mixture to butter mixture. Increase speed
to medium, mixing until combined. Add ground almonds, sage,
and orange zest, mixing to combine. Remove dough from bowl,
wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until completely
chilled, approximately 1 hour.
• Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
• Place dough on a floured surface, and roll to 1/4-inch thickness.
Using a 2-inch fluted square cutter, cut 24 cookies, rerolling scraps
• Place cookies on prepared baking sheets. Refrigerate cookies on
baking sheet for 10 minutes.
• Bake until lightly golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on pan for 5 minutes.
Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.