• In a medium bowl and using an electric mixer at medium speed,
beat butter, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract until light and fluffy,
about 3 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low; add flour in three
batches, mixing well after each addition. Add nuts and cream,
mixing to combine. Gather dough, shape into a disk, and wrap
with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
• Preheat oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
• On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness.
Using a 3-x-2-inch rectangle cutter, cut cookies. Transfer cookies
to prepared baking sheet.
• Bake until lightly browned, about 10 to 12 minutes. Cool on the
baking sheet for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool
• Using a pastry brush, lightly coat cookies with Royal Icing. Set
on a flat surface lined with parchment paper to dry completely.
When dry, using a pastry brush, lightly coat each cookie with
corn syrup. Carefully press the wafer papers onto cookies, trimming
to fit if necessary. Place cookies wafer-paper side down on
the parchment. Dry for at least 30 minutes before serving.
*For testing purposes, we used Suit of Hearts Edible Wafer Paper
from Fancy Flours, available at fancyflours.com.
Note: If you do not have a 3-x-2-inch rectangle cutter, use a ruler and a
pizza cutter to cut out the cookies.