Everyone loves doughnuts, and our lemon–poppy seed variation is no different.
Downloads:Lemon-Poppy Seed Doughnuts Recipe
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup whole milk, room temperature
2 tablespoons plus 3/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, divided
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
6 to 8 cups vegetable oil for frying
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
3 tablespoons water
• In a large bowl, whisk together flour, poppy seeds, lemon zest,
baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
• In a small bowl, combine milk and 3/4 teaspoon lemon juice. Let
stand for 10 minutes (mixture will curdle).
• Add eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract to milk mixture, whisking
until combined. Add egg mixture to flour mixture, stirring until
well blended. Cover, and refrigerate until dough is firm, at least
• In a 3-quart stockpot, heat oil to 350°.
• Transfer dough to a floured surface. With floured hands, roll
heaping teaspoons of dough into balls.
• Working in batches, carefully place dough balls in hot oil, being
sure to keep oil at or around 350°. Fry doughnuts until golden
brown, stirring occasionally, approximately 6 minutes. Using a
slotted spoon, transfer doughnuts to a wire rack to drain and
• In a medium bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar, remaining
2 tablespoons lemon juice, and water, whisking until smooth.
When doughnuts are cool enough to handle, roll each in glaze to
coat. Transfer to the wire rack to dry. Serve warm.