Golden brown madeleines dusted with confectioners’ sugar are a sweet dessert.
Downloads:Orange-Thyme Madeleines Recipe
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, divided
4 large eggs, room temperature
1/8 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
2/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon finely grated fresh orange zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
• Preheat oven to 350°. Grease 2 Madeleine pans with 2 tablespoons
butter. Set aside.
• In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt remaining 3/4 cup
butter until butter is brown and smells nutty, approximately 20
minutes. Strain butter through a mesh sieve lined with a paper
towel. Discard solids. Cool brown butter to room temperature.
• In a large bowl and using an electric mixer at medium-high
speed, combine eggs and salt, beating until thick and tripled
in volume, approximately 4 minutes. Increase mixer speed to
high. Add sugar in a slow, steady stream, beating until mixture
is thick and ribbonlike, approximately 3 minutes.
• Gently fold in thyme, orange zest, and vanilla extract. Fold in
reserved brown butter. Sift flour over egg mixture. Gently fold
flour into batter until just combined.
• Spoon batter into prepared pans, filling each well two-thirds to
three-quarters full. Bake until edges are golden brown, 12 to
14 minutes. Remove from oven, and unmold immediately onto
metal cooling racks. When cool, dust Madeleines with confectioners’