Roasted bell pepper rounds are stacked on pumpernickel squares, along with herbed goat cheese balls, and a garnish of fresh rosemary for a delicious twist on a traditional sandwich.
Downloads:Cheese on Pimento Green Sandwiches
2 large green bell peppers, seeded and sliced into 3-inch strips
1 (8-ounce) package sharp white Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 (4-ounce) package pasteurized goat cheese
1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 (16-ounce) loaf pumpernickel cocktail bread, crusts trimmed
Garnish: fresh rosemary sprigs
• Preheat oven to 400°.
• Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place pepper strips on prepared baking sheet.
• Bake until peppers are slightly blackened, approximately 20 minutes. Carefully transfer peppers from pan to a bowl, and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Cool for 30 minutes.
• Carefully remove plastic wrap. Remove peppers from bowl. Pull skin from flesh of peppers. Discard skin.
• Using a 2-inch round fluted cutter, cut as many rounds from strips as possible. Set aside.
• In the work bowl of a food processor, combine cheeses, mayonnaise, rosemary, horseradish, salt, and black pepper. Pulse until smooth. Transfer mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a round tip. Set aside.
• Place a pepper round on each cocktail bread slice. Pipe approximately 1 tablespoon cheese mixture onto pepper round.
• Garnish with fresh rosemary, if desired. Serve immediately.