Nothing beats homemade ice cream, especially when coconut cream and milk are added to the mix.
Downloads:Coconut Ice Cream
1 (15-ounce) can coconut cream
1 (13.5-ounce) can coconut milk
1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
5 large egg yolks
Garnish: 1 recipe Tropical Fruit Relish (see Download for recipe)
• In a medium saucepan, combine coconut cream, coconut milk, 1/3 cup sugar, and salt. Cook over medium-high heat until mixture almost simmers. Remove from heat, and set aside.
• In a large bowl, combine egg yolks and remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, whisking well.
• Gradually add one-fourth of hot cream mixture to egg-yolk mixture, whisking constantly.
• Add egg-yolk mixture back to hot cream mixture in pan, whisking constantly.
• Cook over medium-high heat until slightly thickened and mixture coats the back of a spoon, approximately 8 minutes.
• Cover and refrigerate for least 4 hours.
• Transfer mixture to the container of an electric ice-cream freezer. Freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.
• Transfer ice cream to a freezer-safe container. Freeze for at least 4 hours for a firmer texture.
• Garnish with Tropical Fruit Relish, if desired.