These argyle-inspired diamond-shaped cookies combine both sweet and savory components for a remarkable teatime treat.
Downloads:Honey Tee-Thyme Cookies
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
½ cup sugar
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg yolk
1¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon dried thyme
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cold heavy whipping cream
1 recipe Meringue Icing (see Download for recipe)
• In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar, honey, and vanilla. Beat at high speed with an electric mixer until creamy, approximately 4 minutes. Add egg yolk, mixing well. Set aside.
• In a small bowl, combine flour, thyme, and salt, stirring well. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating at lowest speed until a dough forms.
• Add cream, mixing well. Shape dough into a disk, wrap with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
• On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to ¼-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch diamond cutter, cut as many cookies as possible. Place cookies 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets.
• Bake until edges are lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on pan for 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
• Decorate with Meringue Icing, as desired, and let dry. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.