Casual hushpuppies turn formal when baked in madeleine pans instead of fried in hot oil.
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and divided
2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
2/3 cup grated smoked Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons minced jalapeño pepper
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground smoked paprika
1/3 cup whole milk
2 large eggs
• Preheat oven to 450°.
• Brush a madeleine pan with 2 tablespoons melted butter. Set aside.
• In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, cheese, green onion, flour, jalapeño, baking powder, salt, pepper, and paprika, whisking well. Set aside.
• In a small bowl, combine milk, eggs, and remaining 4 tablespoons butter, whisking well.
• Add milk mixture to cornmeal mixture, whisking until just combined. Spoon dough into prepared pan.
• Bake until hushpuppies are golden brown and cooked through, approximately 12 minutes.