These little cakes are packed with flavors ranging from orange extract, cinnamon, and cloves to finely grated carrots to create a dainty dessert full of character.
Downloads:Lavender-and-Honey-Kissed Carrot Cakes
2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon orange extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup half-and-half
2/3 cup firmly packed finely grated carrot
1 recipe Lavender and Honey Cream-Cheese Frosting
(see Download for recipe)
Garnish: rose petals, chopped pistachios, and fresh lavender
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Lightly spray an 11¾-x-16¾-x-1-inch rimmed baking sheet with nonstick baking spray with flour. Line with parchment paper, and spray again. Set aside.
• In large bowl, combine butter and sugar. Beat at medium speed with and electric mixer until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and orange extracts, stirring to combine.
• In medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Add dry ingredients alternately with half-and-half to butter mixture. Fold in carrot. Pour batter into prepared pan.
• Bake until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool completely.
• With a 2-inch round cutter, cut cake into 48 rounds. Set aside.
• Place Lavender and Honey Cream-Cheese Frosting in a pastry bag fitted with a medium round tip. Pipe frosting onto half of the cake rounds. Top each with a plain cake round. Pipe a small amount of frosting onto the second round.
• Garnish each cake with a rose petal, chopped pistachios, and fresh lavender, if desired. Serve immediately.