Candy-pink frosting makes these strawberry pinwheels pop.
Downloads:Simple Strawberry Pinwheels Recipe
½ (15-ounce) package prepared pie dough
1 large egg
2 tablespoons water
1 cup prepared strawberry frosting
Garnish: pink sanding sugar
• Preheat oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
• On a floured surface, roll pie dough to ⅛-inch thickness. Using
a 2½-inch square cutter, cut as many squares as possible. Place
squares on prepared baking sheet. Using a paring knife, cut
1-inch diagonal slits in corners of each square.
• In a small bowl, whisk together egg and water. Using a pastry
brush, lightly coat each square. Fold alternating corner flaps
toward the center of each square, and press to adhere, creating
a pinwheel shape.
• Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly golden brown. Cool on
pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
• Place frosting in a pastry bag fitted with a small star tip. Pipe a
dollop of frosting in the center of each pinwheel. Garnish with
pink sanding sugar, if desired. Store in an airtight container at
room temperature for up to 3 days.