Orange-blossom honey and orange marmalade combine to create a sumptuous drizzle over this spiced cake.
Downloads:Spiced Orange Sponge Cake Recipe
1 small orange
5 large eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon matzo flour
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 cup orange marmalade
1/2 cup orange-blossom honey
Garnish: fresh strawberries
• Preheat oven to 300°. Spray a 9-inch cake pan with nonstick baking
spray with flour. Set aside.
• Grate zest from orange. Squeeze juice through a fine-mesh sieve
into a small bowl. Set zest and juice aside.
• Place egg yolks in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer at high
speed, beat yolks until light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes.
Gradually add sugar, beating until thick, approximately 5 minutes
more. Add orange zest, orange juice, and vanilla extract,
beating to combine. Set aside.
• Place egg whites in a separate large bowl. Using an electric mixer
at medium-high speed, beat until stiff, glossy peaks form. Gently
fold egg whites into egg-yolk mixture. Set aside.
• In a small bowl, whisk together flour, coriander, and cardamom.
Gently fold flour mixture into egg mixture. Pour batter into prepared
• Bake until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out
clean, about 40 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire
rack to cool completely.
• In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine marmalade and
honey, cooking until mixture is warm. Drizzle sauce over cake.
• Garnish with strawberries, if desired.