Parmesan cheese added to the dough as well as sprinkled on top makes a delicious cheesy scone.
2 cups cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1/2 cup unsalted butter, diced and softened
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 recipe Summer Lettuce Pesto (see Download for recipe)
• Preheat oven to 400°.
• Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
• In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, and ⅓ cup cheese, whisking to combine. Add butter. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
• In a small bowl, combine cream and egg, whisking well. Gradually add cream mixture to flour mixture, mixing gently with a fork until all ingredients are combined and a soft dough forms.
• On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to ½-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch oval cutter, cut as many scones as possible, rerolling scraps only once. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Using a pastry brush, lightly coat scones with olive oil. Sprinkle scones with remaining ⅓ cup cheese.
• Bake until cheese is light golden brown, 12 to 14 minutes. Serve immediately, or cool on wire racks.
• Serve with Summer Lettuce Pesto, if desired.