3 large egg whites
4 drops red food coloring
2 tablespoons superfine sugar
1¾ cups confectioners’ sugar
¾ cup slivered almonds
¼ cup dehydrated raspberries*, pulsed finely
1½ cups Buttercream Filling
(see Download for recipe)
• Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
• In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites and food coloring at high speed with an electric mixer until frothy. Gradually add superfine sugar, beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Set aside.
• In the work bowl of a food processor, combine confectioners’ sugar, almonds, and raspberries. Pulse until finely ground. Fold nut mixture into egg-white mixture.
• Spoon mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip. Pipe small V’s (approximately 1-inch in diameter) onto prepared baking sheets. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
• In the meantime, preheat oven to 275°.
• Bake until tops are set, hard, and dry but not cracked, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool on baking sheets for 30 minutes.
• Spread Buttercream Filling onto the bottom of a macaron. Sandwich with another macaron. Repeat with remaining macarons and Buttercream Filling.
• Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
*For testing purposes, we used Just Raspberries, justtomatoes.com.