Baked Heart Tartlets
Reminiscent of a traditional cherry pie, these baked tartlets are sure to impress guests with the delicate decorative edge and edible glitter.
Downloads:Baked Heart Tartlets
1 (10-ounce) package frozen cherries, thawed
¼ cup sugar
2 tablespoons cool water
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 (14.1-ounce) package prepared pie dough (2 sheets)
1 large egg yolk
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons coarse sanding sugar
Garnish: Wilton Edible Gold Heart Glitter*
• In a small saucepan, combine cherries and sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until sugar is dissolved, approximately 10 minutes.
• Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together water and cornstarch. Add cornstarch mixture to cherry mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and continue to cook until mixture thickens, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and cool completely.
• Preheat oven to 450°.
• Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
• Using a rolling pin, on a lightly floured surface, flatten dough slightly. Using a 4-inch heart-shaped cutter, cut as many hearts as possible.
• In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk and water to make an egg wash. Using a pastry brush, lightly coat a 1-inch border on half of dough hearts.
• Place approximately 1½ tablespoons cherry mixture in the centers of dough hearts brushed with egg wash. Top with remaining dough hearts. Using a fork, press gently to seal edges. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Brush tops of hearts with remaining egg wash. Sprinkle with sanding sugar.
• Bake until golden brown, approximately 20 minutes. Remove from oven, and cool for 10 minutes.
• Garnish serving platter with edible glitter, if desired.
*Wilton Edible Gold Heart Glitter can be found at wilton.com.