These individual cakes contain mashed ripe bananas, a layer of sliced apples, and a streusel stopping.
2 large ripe bananas, mashed
¾ cup sugar, divided
¼ cup honey
2 large eggs
2½ plus 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1 teaspoon baking powder
1¼ teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
¼ teaspoon lemon zest
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
2 red baking apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
½ cup unsalted butter, melted
Garnish: confectioners’ sugar
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Spray a 6-well (2¾-inch squares) removable-bottom pan with nonstick baking spray with flour. Set aside.
• In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine bananas and ½ cup sugar. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until thick and creamy. Add honey and eggs, beating until well combined. Set aside.
• In a medium bowl, combine 1½ cups flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, lemon zest, nutmeg, ginger, ¼ teaspoon salt, and cloves, stirring well. Add flour mixture to banana mixture, beating until batter is uniform.
• Fill each well of prepared pan one-third full of batter. Add 2 even layers of apple slices. Add remaining batter until wells are two-thirds full. Set aside.
• In a small bowl, combine remaining 1⅓ cups flour, brown sugar, remaining ¼ cup sugar, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, and remaining ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, stirring well. Add melted butter, stirring until pea-size crumbles form. Sprinkle topping evenly over batter.
• Bake until a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
• Garnish with a dusting of confectioners’ sugar, if desired.