These delightful cookies are shaped like magnifying glasses for a fun twist to a themed afternoon tea.
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2½ tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract
1½ cups all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup crushed clear hard candies*
• In a large bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, honey, water, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Beat at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until smooth.
• In a medium bowl, sift together flour, salt, and cinnamon. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating to combine. Tightly wrap dough in plastic wrap. Freeze for 15 minutes.
• Preheat oven to 325°.
• Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Set aside.
• On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to ¼-inch thickness. Using a magnifying glass–shaped cookie cutter†, cut as many cookies as possible. Using a 1½-inch round cutter, cut centers from rounded section of magnifying glasses. Discard centers. Place magnifying-glass shapes on prepared baking sheet. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
• Bake for 6 minutes. Cool for 3 minutes.
• Evenly divide crushed candies among cut-out centers of cookies. Bake until candies start to bubble, 3 to 4 minutes. Cool cookies on baking sheet for 20 minutes. When cookie centers are hardened, peel away foil.
Note: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
*For testing purposes, we used pineapple-flavored Life Savers candies.
†Magnifying-glass cookie cutters can be found at coppergifts.com.