A vinaigrette seasoned with lemon juice, shallots, and thyme coats a salad of green beans, cabbage, and chives for a crisp, tangy dish.
Downloads:Green Bean Salad
2 tablespoons minced shallots
1½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1½ tablespoons champagne vinegar
2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
1/3 cup extra-light olive oil
1 (8-ounce) package fresh French beans, cut into thin strips
1 cup thinly sliced yellow bell pepper
1 cup thinly sliced purple cabbage
1 (1-ounce) package fresh chives, sliced on the bias
2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, divided
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
3 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed, cut into (2½-x-1-inch) rectangles
• In the container of a blender, combine shallots, lemon juice, vinegar, and thyme, pulsing until blended. With the motor running, slowly add oil, and continue blending until mixture is thickened. Set dressing aside.
• In a large bowl, combine beans, bell pepper, cabbage, chives, 1½ teaspoons salt, and 1½ teaspoons black pepper, stirring well. Pour dressing over vegetables, tossing gently to coat. Cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
• In a small bowl, combine melted butter and egg white, whisking well. Brush each phyllo rectangle with butter mixture.
• Layer 7 coated phyllo rectangles on top of one another, and place on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle each with a pinch of remaining ½ teaspoon salt and remaining ½ teaspoon black pepper.
• Bake until golden brown, 7 to 10 minutes. Let cool.
• Place phyllo strips on serving tray, and top with Green Bean Salad.