This savory scone has a pleasant flavor combination of nutty cheese and pungent rosemary.
2½ cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1½ teaspoons salt, divided
½ cup chilled unsalted butter, diced
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
2/3 cup heavy cream
2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
Garnish: rosemary sprigs
• Preheat oven to 375°.
• Lightly grease a baking sheet. Set aside.
• In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and ½ teaspoon salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Add Parmesan cheese and chopped rosemary, stirring to combine. Gradually add cream, stirring until dry ingredients are just moistened.
• On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/2-inch-thick circle. Cut into wedges. Place wedges on prepared baking sheet. Using a pastry brush, lightly coat tops of scones with olive oil, and sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon salt.
• Garnish tops of scones with sprigs of rosemary, if desired.
• Bake until golden brown, approximately 16 minutes. Serve warm with pear preserves, if desired.