Present these Parmesan- and mozzarella-flavored pretzels in a charming bag for a special someone’s gift.
Downloads:Parmesan Pretzels Recipe
1 package dry active yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1 3/4 cups warm water (105˚–115˚)
4 1/3 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 large egg
2 large egg whites
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons garlic salt with parsley
• In a small bowl, combine the yeast, sugar, and water. Stir gently,
and let stand for 5 minutes.
• In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, Parmesan, and mozzarella.
Add the yeast mixture and egg, and stir until the dough is smooth.
• On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough for 5 minutes, or
until smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl,
turning to coat dough in oil. Cover with a clean kitchen towel, and
let stand in a warm (85°), draft-free place for 45 minutes, or until
doubled in size.
• Preheat oven to 425°. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets. Set aside.
• Divide the dough into 24 equal pieces. On a lightly floured surface,
shape each piece of dough into an 8-inch-long rope. Twist each rope
into a pretzel shape, and place pretzels on prepared baking sheets.
• In a small bowl, whisk together the egg whites and water. Brush
pretzels with egg mixture, and sprinkle evenly with garlic salt with
• Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes