The rich and earthy flavors of mushrooms and chestnuts make this thick and hearty soup a wonderful treat at afternoon tea in the fall.
Downloads:Wild Mushroom and Chestnut Soup
6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 small Vidalia onion, finely diced
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
3 (4-ounce) packages gourmet mushrooms, trimmed and divided
1 cup finely chopped chestnuts
2½ cups vegetable stock
½ cup half-and-half
½ cup heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons lemon juice
Garnish: fresh microgreens and truffle oil
1 recipe Edible Whole-Grain Spoons
(see Download for recipe)
• In a medium saucepan, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic powder, salt, and pepper, stirring to combine. Cook until tender, approximately 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium, and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
• Add 2 packages mushrooms and chestnuts, cooking for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
• Add stock, stirring to combine. Simmer for 15 minutes.
• Add half-and-half, cream, and lemon juice, stirring well. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and cool slightly.
• Meanwhile, in a small sauté pan, heat remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add remaining mushrooms, stirring to coat. Cook until tender, approximately 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
• Puree chestnut mixture in batches in a blender. Divide among soup bowls.
• Garnish with sautéed mushrooms, microgreens, and a drizzle of truffle oil, if desired. Serve immediately with Edible Whole-Grain Spoons.