Baked rounds of wild rice are the base for fresh salmon and spinach, creating a tasty and impressive canapé.
Downloads:Wild Rice Cups with Salmon
1 cup wild rice, prepared according to package directions
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
¼ cup pumpkin purée
3 tablespoons minced shallots
3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
3 tablespoons fresh orange juice, divided
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1½ teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
½ teaspoon sugar
½ cup walnut oil, divided
2 (6-ounce) pieces fresh salmon
½ teaspoon fresh orange zest
2 cups thinly sliced spinach
½ cup finely chopped toasted walnuts
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Spray a round 12-well removable-bottom miniature cheesecake pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
• In a medium bowl, combine rice and egg whites, stirring well. Divide mixture among wells of prepared pan, pressing into the bottom and up the sides.
• Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool slightly.
• Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Carefully remove rice cups from pan, and place on prepared baking sheet.
• Bake until rice cups are crispy around the sides and edges, 5 to 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
• In the container of a blender, combine pumpkin puree, shallots, chives, 2 tablespoons orange juice, ginger, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, and sugar, pulsing until smooth. With the motor running, slowly add 6 tablespoons walnut oil, and continue blending until mixture is smooth. Set dressing aside.
• Preheat oven to broil.
• Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
• Place salmon on baking sheet, brush with remaining 2 tablespoons walnut oil, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, remaining ½ teaspoon pepper, and orange zest.
• Broil until salmon is flaky and cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes. Cut salmon into 1½-inch pieces (approximately 6 per fillet).
• In a medium bowl, gently toss spinach with just enough dressing to coat. Fill each rice cup with dressed spinach, top with a salmon piece, and sprinkle with toasted walnuts and remaining 1 tablespoon orange juice. Serve immediately.