These cupcakes contain extra flavors of ripe banana, Greek yogurt, and goat cheese frosting for an excellent take on traditional carrot cake.
1 cup pastry flour
1¼ teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon coarse salt, divided
1/3 cup finely chopped toasted walnuts
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
1½ tablespoons sugar
2/3 cup mashed ripe banana
¾ cup grated carrot, squeezed dry
¼ cup plain Greek-style yogurt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
12 ounces goat cheese, at room temperature
½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
½ cup confectioners’ sugar
Garnish: additional ground cinnamon
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Line 14 wells of a mini muffin pan with paper liners. Set aside.
• Sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Add walnuts, stirring to combine. Set aside.
• In a small bowl, combine melted butter and sugar, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
• In a separate bowl, combine banana and carrot. Add butter mixture, stirring well. Add yogurt and egg, whisking to combine. Add flour mixture, stirring until batter just comes together.
• Spoon batter into prepared pan.
• Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
• Remove from oven, and let cool. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
• In a medium bowl, combine goat cheese and butter. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add confectioners’ sugar and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, beating until well combined.
• Spread frosting over each cupcake.
• Garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon, if desired.