Dried pineapple and flaked coconut are baked in this tropical bar, which is then dipped into white chocolate and topped with toasted coconut.
Downloads:Coconut-Pineapple White Chocolate Bars
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
¼ cup butter-flavored shortening
¼ cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons heavy whipping cream
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
1¾ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup chopped dried pineapple
1 cup toasted sweetened flaked coconut, divided
10 (1-ounce) squares white baking chocolate, melted and divided
¼ cup sweetened condensed milk
½ teaspoon coconut extract
½ (16-ounce) package vanilla-flavored candy coating
• In a large bowl, combine butter and shortening. Beat at medium-high speed with an electric mixer for 1 minute.
• Add sugar, cream, vanilla, and salt, beating until combined. Add flour, pineapple, and ¼ cup coconut. Mix at low speed until combined.
• Remove dough, and divide into 2 portions. Wrap dough in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
• In a small saucepan, combine 7 squares white chocolate and condensed milk. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly until melted. Remove from heat. Add coconut extract, stirring to combine. Cool slightly.
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
• On a lightly floured surface, roll half of dough into a 10-x-8-inch rectangle approximately ¼ inch thick. Spread chocolate mixture over dough.
• Roll remaining dough into a 10-x-8-inch rectangle approximately ¼ inch thick. Place atop chocolate-covered dough, and gently press edges with fingers to seal. Transfer to prepared baking sheet.
• Bake until light golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool completely.
• Transfer to a cutting board. Cut into 2¾-x-1¼-inch bars. Set aside.
• Place candy coating in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat coating in a microwave oven on High (100 percent power) in 30-second intervals until melted, stirring between each interval, approximately 1½ minutes total.
• Dip bottoms of bars into melted coating. Place bars coated side up on parchment paper to dry.
• Melt remaining 3 squares white chocolate in the same manner as candy coating.
• Spoon a strip of melted white chocolate across each bar. Sprinkle with remaining ¾ cup coconut. Let dry for at least 30 minutes.
Note: Store covered at room temperature for up to 5 days.