This rich and creamy pâté pairs well with tea on a cold afternoon.
Downloads:Liver and Mushroom Pâté
6 slices bacon, chopped
1½ cups sliced yellow onion
1¾ pounds chicken and/or goose livers
8 ounces sliced mushrooms
½ cup salted butter, softened
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ cup port wine
Garnish: 1 mushroom, thinly sliced
• Line desired mold with platic wrap, leaving a 4-inch overhang on each side. Set aside.
• In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat until crispy. Remove bacon from pan, reserving grease. Add onion, livers, and mushrooms to reserved bacon grease.
• Cook over medium heat until liver is cooked through and excess liquid has evaporated, 10 to 12 minutes.
• Place liver mixture in the work bowl of a food processor, working in batches if necessary. Add butter, salt, and pepper to liver mixture. Pulse until smooth, adding port as needed. Spoon into prepared mold. Refrigerate until firm and cold throughout, at least 4 hours.
• Invert onto a serving platter. Remove plastic wrap. Garnish with thinly sliced mushrooms, if desired.