Parsnips are similar to carrots in shape and texture but have a creamy white color and a pleasantly sweet flavor. Here, they pair nicely with golden potatoes for a hearty soup.
2 tablespoons salted butter
1 large shallot, minced
6 cups peeled and cubed golden potatoes
3 cups peeled and chopped parsnips
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups half-and-half
1½ teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
Garnish: fresh parsley
• In a large stockpot, melt butter over medium heat. Add shallot to butter. Cook until soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
• Add potatoes, parsnips, and chicken broth to stockpot. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Cook until potatoes are cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
• Working in batches, purée soup in the blender. Return to stockpot.
• Add half-and-half, coriander, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Serve immediately.
• Garnish with parsley, if desired.