In the Victorian era, roasted goose was as common on holiday tables as roasted turkey is today. This holiday season, opt for this decadent roast for your celebration.
1 (12-pound) goose
1 recipe Chestnut Stuffing
(see Download for recipe)
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
• Preheat oven to 400°.
• Remove neck and giblets from goose. Rinse with water. Pat dry.
• Stuff with Chestnut Stuffing. Tie legs together with oven-safe twine. Place goose, breast side up, on a rack in a roasting pan.
• Rub goose with vegetable oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
• Roast for 1 hour.
• Reduce temperature to 325°. Cover goose loosely with foil. Bake until a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the thigh registers 180° and stuffing, 165°, 3 to 4 hours.
• Remove from oven. Allow to rest for 15 minutes before slicing.