This savory scone contains ingredients such as spicy sausage and chopped kale, making it perfect for a winter afternoon tea.
Downloads:Sausage and Kale Scones
½ cup cooked, crumbled hot pork sausage
1 cup chopped kale
¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
¾ teaspoon salt, divided
2½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ cup shortening
1 cup plus 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream, divided
1 large egg
1 recipe Nutmeg Butter
(see Download for recipe)
• Preheat oven to 400°.
• Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
• In a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat until cooked through and crumbly. Add kale, cayenne pepper, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook until kale has wilted. Let mixture cool.
• In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, black pepper, and sausage mixture, whisking to combine.
• Using a pastry blender, cut shortening into flour mixture until mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
• In a small bowl, combine cream and egg, whisking well. Gradually add 1 cup cream mixture to flour mixture, stirring gently with a fork until all ingredients are combined and a soft dough forms.
• On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to ½-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch round, fluted cutter, cut as many scones as possible, rerolling scraps only once. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
• Using a pastry brush, lightly coat scones with remaining 3 tablespoons cream.
• Bake until bottom edges are light golden brown, 12 to 16 minutes. Serve immediately, or cool on wire racks. Serve with Nutmeg Butter, if desired.