• In the work bowl of a food processor, combine pepperoncini,
pickles, onion, oregano, red pepper flakes, vinegar, oil, salt, and
pepper. Pulse until mixture is combined but still chunky, 30 seconds
to 1 minute.
• Evenly divide pepperoncini relish among 12 bread slices. Evenly
top those 12 slices with 2 slices turkey, a bit of arugula, 1 slice
cheese, and 3 slices salami. Evenly divide red pepper spread
among remaining 12 bread slices, and place, spread side down,
• Working in batches, grill sandwiches on a preheated panini
press until bread is golden and cheese is melted, 8 to 10 minutes.
[Alternatively, heat a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place
sandwiches in skillet, and place a smaller skillet or a pie plate atop
sandwiches. Place a large (24-ounce) can or foil-wrapped brick on top
of smaller skillet or pie plate to press. Cook until bread is golden and
cheese is melted, approximately 4 minutes per side.]
• Cut each sandwich in half. Serve immediately.
* For testing purposes, we used Scarpetta brand.